By Lisa Byrne
Far from just a necessity, your winter coat will define your wardrobe for the season ahead. So it’s important to take your time and choose wisely. The AW13 collections have started dropping in stores (see our previews of AW13 at Penneys, Zara, Awear) and it can be a tough choice to make. To help you with your sartorial choices, we’ve picked our top 10 coats to fall for this Autumn/Winter:
1. A seasoned favourite for outerwear, Zara have plenty of warm and wonderful coats this Autumn/Winter. This candy coloured overcoat is too sweet for words. Pink is a huge colour this season but this lovely light colour will see you right through next spring too.
2. White is still big news this Autumn/Winter. Check out this gorgeous white biker coat with black lapels and zip detail from Dorothy Perkins.
Biker Coat, €77, Dorothy Perkins
3. This Autumn/Winter’s must-have is the oversized coat. Seen in countless collections, some may say it’s the style of the season. This oversized COS coat is worth saving up for!
Oversized Shawl Collar Coat, €175, COS (COS is available at BT2)
4. Buying a coat in one of the season’s hottest prints is an easy and cost efficient way to update your everyday wardrobe. Check is EVERYWHERE this season! Nab two trends in one with this oversized coat from New Look.
Black Check Coat, €79.99, New Look
5. One coat that will never go out of style is the classic trench. Unleash your inner Holly Golightly and invest in a trench that will last season after season. This Marks & Spencer trench was designed with water repellent technology, very appropriate for an Irish winter.
M&S Collection Trench Coat, €120, Marks & Spencer
6. It isn’t winter without a little faux fur and this black shearling and leather-look waterfall jacket from River Island won’t be on the shelves for long!
Shearling/Leather-look Waterfall Biker Jacket, €100, River Island
7. In the market for a classic winter coat but not willing to part with a huge chunk of your wages? Check out this cheap and cheerful black double-breasted coat from H&M. At the extremely purse friendly price of €29.95 the cost per wear is very affordable!
Double Breasted Coat, €29.95, H&M
8. Proving that it has life outside of a festival, the parka is back for both men and women this Autumn/Winter. Oasis has a varied selection of parkas this season in different colours and fabrics. This lightweight black parka with gold detailing is stylish yet functional.
Black Parka, €85, Oasis
9. If you’re lucky enough to have a budget to blow, check out the Carven’s delicious draped tweed coat at Brown Thomas (€720).
10. Similarly Jaeger’s colourful wide collar mohair coat (€478.80) is a guaranteed statement maker for the season ahead.